Thursday, May 26, 2011

Authorly flowery in Amsterdam


As this is my first blog posting, I have chosen to give a little background to recent events which led up to the profile picture I utilize on this blog. Hopefully this may be of interest.

On a recent trip to Amsterdam, my wife and I decided to squeeze in a trip to a tulip farm, as it was the season, and tulips are the one quintessential Dutch attraction that we'd never experienced.

One morning after a reconnaissance trip down to the lobby of our hotel, (spent bugging the locals and hotel staff in pidgin English for the best tulip excursion suggestions), I came back to the room armed with a name: "Kuikenhof" which, apparently, was only a 30 minute bus ride away.

My wife, being more familiar with Afrikaans than I, and because it was so similar to Dutch, translated the word to mean "Chicken Hall" or "Chicken Headquarters", or something equally as poultry. She smiled sympathetically at me before sending me downstairs again, this time on a verification mission, as she had no desire to visit a smelly chicken farm - she could accomplish that with ease back home in Canada, she said, with odious intonation.

Well, suffice to say, I came back with the same recommendation, so we decided to throw all caution to the wind and take a risk, be adventurous, not be chicken. Off to Kuikenhof.

The picture above, taken at Kuikenhof, proves that I can sometimes be trusted in matters foreign, even when doubted by an expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment