Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Moving to work

"A fixer-upper, and it's just round the corner! Let's move!"

Believe it or not, those few innocent words spoken with much glee and gay abandon by my lovely wife, have haunted me for the past few months.

It's not that I don't like a good fixer-upper, especially one that'll work out the kinks in my lazy muscles and oust the creative cobwebs from my seized cerebral cortex, but this was a big deal.

Why big? Because the house was all potential. It had nothing more to lose and everything to gain. It might as well have been labelled dilapidated.

Remembering the line our Realtor used when we asked him to get us an appointment to view the house, still gives us a chuckle. It went something like; "The land's nice, I expect you'll want to flatten the house and start afresh..."

Not likely. Now I sit here, the house newly renovated and still in pain from hammering through too many pounds of four inch framing nails.

It turns out that I have stressed a ligament in my wrist and elbow and guess what, writing is not much fun at the moment, especially when tapping on these keys. Even the mouse is fighting back and winning easily.

I impart these tidbits, not just for a little sympathy, but also for an understanding as to why my blog updating has lapsed.

"Take it easy" said the doc, "and you'll be back to normal within a few months."

Easy words for a man who can afford the price of professional trades these days.

Oh well, no pain no gain.



No comments:

Post a Comment